Chapter 5 is where you discuss your results. Was the Null Hypothesis accepted or rejected? What the Alternative Hypothesis accepted or rejected? What are some possible reasons for the results? What are some of the problems that occurred during you experiment, and how might those problems be corrected. What do the results of the experiment mean for the average person?
Specific Requirements for Chapter 5: Discussion
Your Discussion should...
- State whether you accept or reject the Null Hypothesis (H 0).
- State whether you accept or reject the Alternative Hypothesis (H 1).
- Discuss at least three things that may have influenced the results.
- Discuss any extraneous variables or problems that may have affected the reliability and validity of your results.
- Discuss any changes you would make to solve the problems discussed above.
- Discuss what your results might mean for the average person and provide any final thoughts.
Incomplete Example of Chapter 5
Chapter 5: Discussion
Based on our results, we reject the Null Hypothesis (H 0) and we accept the Alternative Hypothesis (H 1). Listening to music while studying does seem to have a negative impact on learning.
There are many possible reasons for this negative impact on learning. Music could disrupt the learner's concentration and make it more difficult for them to... Music may also... Finally, music may play a role in ..
There were a number of extraneous variables that may have had an impact on the outcome of the experiment. The room in which the group that studied with music was noisy due to a ceiling fan. There was also a number of interruptions during the test. While the group studying without music took the test...
If this study were to be replicated...
Given the results of this experiment the researchers suggest that learners...